Sunday, March 11, 2012

Life's Koan Practice

Life has presented a new Koan to me recently.

Kosaka Sensei gives these wonderful lectures. He often ends them with, 'In Japan it is very impolite to ask questions [of your teacher], but does anyone have any questions?

Because of this ending I rarely ask any of my Japanese Teachers questions, but rely on what 'slips out during conversations' or listen in to their answers to others. But mostly I learn from their behavior.

However in recent private talks with Osho-san he said that as a teacher I should not lecture others, but that we should emulate the Buddha by just answering questions. This is why Osho-san's 'Dharma Talks' are really Question Answer sessions.

So how do I do that on a blog?

Hmmmm?

Well, we'll see. Maybe I'll share the questions people ask me and my answers?

Certainly this fits well with one of the 84,200 rules that says 'only teach those who ask'. I always added in my mind 'to be taught;' but as usual I now see that this teaching is multilayered (as they all are).

Trying to teach people who aren't listening is always an interesting exercise, isn't it? Best to wait till we are asked.

No comments:

Post a Comment