Monday, December 26, 2011

Vows & Promises

Vows & Promises:

My first set of vows as an initiate focused on the Namu Sambo (3 refuges) and the other sutra we chant everyday.

Namu Sambo = 3 Refuges"Namu Kie Butsu" = To take refuge in the Buddha (Awakened Ones)
"Namu Kie Ho" = To take refuge in the Dharma (The Teaching/Universal Law)
"Namu kie So". = To take refuge in the Sangha (The Community)
One of the next sets were the GoKai or 5 Vows.
1. Fusshesho Kai = Vow not to Kill
2. Fu Chuto Kai = Vow not to Steal
3. Fu Jain or Tabon Kai = Vow not to commit Adultery
4. Fu Mo(u)go Kai = Vow not to Lie
5. Fu Onju Kai = Vow not to get intoxicated.
 
I later retook these in a more conscious way for instance the not to Kill became to Do No Harm. The others too took on deeper meanings. Not to lie, came to mean every word said or not said must lead all listeners to awaken. This meaning continues to get deeper and deeper for me. Not to Steal too, became: To accept only that which is freely offered, and now includes: And to accept everything freely... offered.

The next set of 5 to make the 10 standard, I adapted myself a little bit; though it still fits within the possible realm of translation of the original I suppose.
I vowed to speak only as needed and to enjoy silence (wouldn't know it by my long posts. lol)
I vowed to be humble and modest (hard for me with my big ego, but I'm working on it).
Be Generous and Content (doing pretty well there).
Be Calm/Temperate/Tranquil/Serene/Harmonious/Balanced/Centered etc.
Be Clear!

In addition to this there is a series of chants and rules and lineage stuff that only monks really need to worry about.
 
Other vows did include the promise to avoid the 3 poisons (Sandoku)
1. Ton'Yoku = Greed/Desire/Attachment
2. Shinni = Anger/Hatred/Aggression (violence etc...)
3. Guchi = Ignorance/Stupidity/Illusion/Delusion


... The antidote for these are:
1. Fuse = Generosity
2. Aware mi dojo = Compassion
3. Chi'e = Wisdom
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment