Wednesday, April 13, 2016

Jyozen and Kanzeonji L.A.

I've had several teacher's over the years. But there are two main ones. One is my 'root' teacher Hirokazu Kosaka Sensei; He calls me his legacy holder. He's a Shingon Priest, but I am not; the legacy I 'hold' is his teachings on traditional Japanese Culture; for me this is primarily the practice of kyudo or Japanese Archery that he taught me.
My other teacher is Rev. Ryugen Watanabe Osho. A Disciple of Soyu Matsuoka Roshi. Matsuoka Roshi was among the first Soto Zen Priests to come to America and specifically want teach those of non-Japanese ancestry. With some disagreements with Soto-shu Japan on how to do that, he recommended to several of his disciples to not worry about maintaining that relationship with Soto-shu Japan. So at that time we became non-sectarian. My teacher has openly embraced this as a way to reconcile the many sects and not be Zen per se, but simply Buddhist. But our practice, inherited from Matsuoka Roshi is primarily based on the same Soto-Zen Model. But we also have a variety of 'moving meditations' as promoted by other streams that Watanabe Osho studied.
With both of us having multiple influences from a variety of Buddhist Sects and Shinto too, we really like the non-sectarian model.
Also we have not traditionally used a temple setting; but simply use one of the members homes, or convert a home into a meditation space. So we simply practiced in one of homes Watanabe-Osho owned on Terrace 49 in Mount Washington CA. Recently he sold the last home, and is now a wandering homeless monk, which he seems to be enjoying quite immensely.
He, and everyone else, has assumed that I will take up the mantle. To some degree I will, though I have a zendo and some surrounding grounds here at home, that a few years back he dedicated as Jizo-an, a small Zen temple, and appointed me as it's anjyu. In this way I could 'live' at a temple and fulfill his requirement as eligible to take over in due time. It also gave me some experience in running a small temple with a few Sangha members. So, actually I like this small arrangement. But now, he says, I am the Abbot of Kanzeonji, we have moved most of the Temple Altars and other items to my place, and I've set up a temporary space. But it's much too small for more than the private or semi-private practices, I've already been holding. So I will continue that way, at least until the sangha can help decide how to expand; and even then, I would prefer not to expand too much. Best to be small, humble, invisible to some degree.

No comments:

Post a Comment