Thursday, October 22, 2009

zazen - seated meditation

Although I am 'Zen Man Walking', I am a big believer in zazen (seated mediation). Afterall at Kanzeonji we follow shikantaza (just sitting) style of zen practice. I think it is best to have zazen has the fundamental practice, then from there find ways of extending this practice into our daily lives. Walking Zen can be a method to help us extend our sitting practice into our daily lives. Tai Chi, Yoga, Kyudo, and other similar practices can be a bridge between our walking practice and our daily activities as well.

But walking is so simple, so basic to our human condition of walking upright, that I really really like Walking Zen. There's nothing to learn, just walk. Of course, mindful...upright...walking is especially nice for bringing our sitting practice along with us.

It's healthy; take a walk around the block today...I did.

No comments:

Post a Comment